The International Raw Materials Observatory is collaborating with the American Geosciences Institute (AGI) and the Mineralogical Society of America (MSA) on a webinar series on mineral raw materials in celebration of Earth Science Week 2020. The series includes live and on-demand webinars, as well as additional live Q&A sessions with some of the speakers. All webinars are free.
- “Resources Beyond Earth: Enabling Future Exploration and the New Space Economy,” Dr. Angel Abbud Madrid, Center for Space Resources, Colorado School of Mines. (On Demand starting 11 October 2020, 12 AM EDT with a live Q&A at 12 p.m. EDT, October 13, 2020)
- “Consumers: The Most Potent Army Against Conflict Minerals,” Vitor Correia, International Raw Materials Observatory. (On Demand starting 11 October 2020, 12 AM EDT with a live Q&A at 12pm EDT, October 16, 2020)
- “May the Quartz Be With You,” Dr. Shannon Mahan, U.S. Geological Survey (On Demand starting 11 October 2020, 12 AM EDT)
- “The Need and Solutions for Robots in Responsible Raw Material Exploration and Mining,” Dr. Norbert Zajzon, University of Miskolc. (On Demand starting 11 October 2020, 12 AM EDT with a live Q&A at 12 p.m. EDT, October 14, 2020) https://www.earthsciweek.org/webinars/roboticsinmining.html
- “The Global Supply of Critical Minerals: Assessing and Tracking C ritical Mineral Commodities.” Dr. Nedal Nassar, U.S. Geological Survey (On Demand starting 11 October 2020, 12 AM EDT)
- “Advances in the Mineralogy of Mars,” Dr. Elizabeth Rampe, Johnson Space Center. (Premieres 12 October 2020, 10 AM EDT)
- “The Future of Data-Driven Discovery in Mineralogy and Crystallography,” Dr. Shaunna Morrison, Carnegie Institute of Science. (Live 2 p.m. EDT, October 12, 2020) Register at: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAlcuygrz4iGNIAiJ88Ya3ZeVCElvsE-Few
- “Gemology: Time Capsules Connecting Us Through History,” Dr. Aaron Palke, Gemological Institute of America. (Premieres 13 October 2020, 3 PM EDT)
“New Insights Into Wire Silver and Gold Formation,” Dr. John Rakovan, Miami University (Premieres 14 October 2020, 3 PM EDT)
For more information, visit https://www.earthsciweek.org/webinars. All on-demand webinars will have multilingual captioning available.
The International Raw Materials Observatory is the lead Global Sponsor of the American Geosciences Institute’s (AGI) Earth Science Week program, the largest international public-awareness campaign for the geoscience community.
Earth Science Week Global Sponsorship supports the development, collaboration, and public projection of awareness of the role of earth materials in society. With its designation as Global Sponsor, the Observatory has joined the ranks of major sponsors of Earth Science Week, including NASA, the U.S. Geological Survey, and the American Association of Petroleum Geologists Foundation.
The American Geosciences Institute is a nonprofit federation of more than 50 scientific and professional associations that represents over a quarter-million geoscientists. Founded in 1948, AGI provides information services to geoscientists, serves as a voice of shared interests in the profession, plays a major role in strengthening geoscience education, and strives to increase public awareness of the vital role the geosciences play in society’s use of resources, resiliency to natural hazards, and interaction with the environment. Learn more at www.americangeosciences.org.